What to do if you’re moving in or out of your business premises

We know there’s lots to think about when moving into or out of a business premises, but it’s important that you let us know as soon as you can so that we can keep your account up to date.

Leaving a business premises

If you’re moving out of your business premises, you can let us know by updating your details in your online account (watch our video below to find out how), or if you don’t have an online account, you can complete our online form.

We’ll need a few details from you:

  • Your business trading name
  • Your customer reference number
  • The date you moved out
  • A meter read taken on your last day
  • The supply address
  • A forwarding address

Providing a meter read on your last day at the premises means that your final bill will reflect what you’ve used/your fixed charges and will end on the day that you moved out.

If you’re moving into a new business premises, let us know the details.

Moving into a new business premises

If you’ve moved into a new business premises and we’re the water retailer, complete our online form to let us know and we’ll set you up a new water account.

We’ll need a few details from you:

  • Your business name
  • Your Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code
  • Your contact details
  • A meter read from the day you moved in or a recent read, if possible and applicable
  • The date you moved in
  • If possible, your water meter serial number (often found engraved on the meter)

Your new account will be active from the date you move in, so by letting us know a meter read, we’ll be able to start billing you based on your read or assessed charges.

If you’ve moved into a business premises and we’re not your water retailer, but you’d like a quote from us, complete our online form and one of the team will be in touch.

Do I need to provide you with details of the Landlord for the premises?

Yes, if you’re the landlord, or you know the details of the person that is, please let us know. This helps us maintain accurate occupier information so we can pass on liability for charges if needed, as in some cases if there’s no tenant in a property, we may need to move the landlord in.

What should I do if I don’t have a meter?

Most non-household premises have a water meter, which means customers can provide a meter read when moving into or leaving a property.

If you don’t have a water meter, your charges won’t be based on consumption and instead are calculated based on the property or an estimate of how much water your business would use if it did have a meter.

If your property doesn’t have a water meter you can provide all the other details we need to register your change in premise. If you’re not sure if the site has a meter, or you cannot find one, please get in touch with our customer experience team.

Do I need a meter read to move in?

No, but it helps if you can give us one. When you move into a new property it’s best to take a reading straight away. This helps us make sure your bills are accurate and based on your consumption. If you can’t, or haven’t taken a reading, we can estimate one for you, but it could mean your bills are based on the usage of the business who occupied the premises before you.

If you need any help locating your water meter, please get in touch with our customer experience team.

Will my bill be estimated if I do not provide a reading?

If you can’t provide a start, or final reading, we’ll be able to estimate an initial, or final reading for you. This means your first, or final bill, from us will include estimated consumption charges, if your charges are based on metered consumption.

When do I need to let you know I moved in or out?

Please let us know on, or after the day you took, or ceased responsibility, for the supply at your property. If you’re unsure of the correct date, one of our Customer Advisors will be able to help.

You’ve asked for my SIC Code, what is this and why do you need it?

SIC codes (Standard Industrial Classifications) are assigned based on common characteristics shared in the products, services, production, and delivery system of a business.

There are multiple types of SIC code. We need to know your SIC code in 1980 format. For more information, please visit Companies House website.

HMRC use SIC Codes to decide if you are charged Value Add Tax (VAT) on your water charges. If we don’t have your correct SIC Code you could be charged VAT on your water services. VAT is charged on water not sewerage services.