FAQ: What do I need to do if I'm moving into a new business premises?

If you’ve moved into a new business premises where we’re the water retailer, we’ll need you to complete our online form. We'll use the information you provide to set up a new water account for your business. It’s best to do this as soon as you move in.

We’ll need some details about your business including:
•    Your business name
•    Your Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code
•    Your contact details
•    A meter read from the day you moved in or a recent read
•    The date you moved in
•    If possible, your water meter serial number (often found engraved on the meter)

Your water account will start on the day you move in, so we’ll be able to start billing you based on your opening meter read, or assessed charges. 

If you’ve just moved into a new business premises where Wave aren't already supplying your water and/or wastewater services, please get in touch if you'd like us to be your retailer and one of our team will be able to help. 

For more information, you can read our guide on moving premises.