FAQ: What do I need to do if I’m moving out of a business premises?

If you’re moving out of your business premises, there’s a few things we need to know. If you already have an online account, you can sign in to update any relevant details such as your address. Our short video below shows you how.

If you don’t have an online account, please complete our online form and have the following details to hand:

  • Your business trading name
  • Your customer reference number
  • The date you moved out
  • A meter read taken on your last day
  • The supply address
  • A forwarding address

Your water account will end on the date you move out, so providing a meter read means your final bill will reflect your usage and/or fixed charges.

If you’re moving to a new business premises, we’ll still need to know the above information, as well as information of your new premises by completing this form.

For more information, you can read our guide on moving premises.