What to do if you're unhappy with our service and would like to make a complaint

We try to get everything right first time but we also appreciate this isn’t always the case. If you’re unhappy with any element of our customer service, please follow the steps below and we’ll do what we can to resolve your complaint as quickly as possible. 

Stage One - Our Customer Care Team

As your water retailer, we’d always ask you to contact us first if you have a complaint with our service, you can do this by:

Your complaint will be handed to our customer care team and a specialist advisor will call you back to discuss the issue and set out how we plan to resolve it.

They'll then personally look after your complaint, keeping you fully informed along the way until you're happy that the matter is resolved. We’ll confirm the outcome that we've agreed with you by telephone or in writing via email or letter, within ten working days.

Stage Two - Escalation to a Senior Manager

In the rare case that you remain unhappy and feel that we haven't resolved the matter to your satisfaction, you can choose to escalate it to an appropriate Senior Manager who will review the case. They'll then write to you via email or letter explaining the outcome of their review and any further action to be taken.

Stage Three - An independent representative

If, having fully exhausted this process, we haven't resolved the complaint to your satisfaction, you may take your complaint to the Consumer Council for Water (CCW) who are an independent representative working with both consumers and non-household organisations and will act on your behalf to try to resolve your complaint with us.

Your final escalation point would be to take your complaint to ADR Group. ADR Group mediates disputes between the customer and water and wastewater retailers which have reached a state of deadlock.

ADR Group is appropriate after CCW processes have been exhausted. You have 6 months from the date CCW have closed the case at their side to approach ADR Group for mediation. Any cases beyond 6 months will be rejected by us as the retailer unless there are mitigating circumstances.

For customers in Scotland

If you remain dissatisfied, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) to look at your complaint. The SPSO is the final stage for complaints about public services in Scotland. The SPSO cannot normally look at complaints:

  • In cases where you have not gone all the way through the organisation’s complaints handling procedure
  • more than 12 months after you became aware of the matter you want to complain about, or
  • that have been or are being considered in court

You can contact the SPSO

In person:
Bridgeside House
99 McDonald Road

By post:
Freepost SPSO (you don’t need to use a stamp)

Freephone: 0800 377 7330

Online: https://www.spso.org.uk/contact-us.