FAQs: I'm a landlord, do I need to let you know when there's a change of tenancy?

I'm a landlord in England, do I need to let you know when there's a change of tenancy?

Yes, in order to help us maintain accurate occupier information and ensure we pass on liability for charges, please get in touch and let us know of any change in tenancy, or if a business premises becomes vacant.

In some wholesale areas, vacant properties are still levied water and wastewater charges, so where we don’t have details of a tenant, we may move the landlord in during that vacant period.

If you are, or know who is, the landlord for a premises in England where we’re the water retailer, please let us know their contact information using our online form. This helps us work more closely with landlords and maintain accurate occupier information.

I'm a landlord in Scotland, do I need to let you know when there's a change of tenancy?

Yes, The Water Resources (Scotland) Act 2013 states water retailers should be notified when there's a change of tenancy at a premise or when a premise becomes vacant. As of 1 January 2017, this means that a premise owner (landlord) must keep their water retailer up to date on the details of the occupant. If you don't do this, you become jointly and severally liable for any charges that become due. 

The Scottish Landlord Portal is a convenient service that allows commercial property owners, property associations, landlords, managing agent, or councils (i.e. owners, or anyone acting on their behalf) to record all their properties and enter details about each property such as tenants and billing responsibilities (e.g. customer names).

The portal allows you to quickly and easily keep us informed if and when things change (such as changes in tenancy, or when the place becomes vacant).

Further information on competition in the Scottish water market can be found by visiting Scotland on Tap.