With most of the UK hit by snow, ice and cold temperatures over the last few weeks, businesses need to be prepared - especially if you’re closed right now.
The latest government guidelines mean that many business premises are unoccupied, and with the winter weather we’ve been experiencing there’s a risk of burst pipes, broken boilers and leaks. Fluctuating temperature from sub zero to warmer conditions in particular can also lead to an increase in bursts and potential flooding.
Here’s some quick tips for protecting your business:
- If you know you’re going to be away for a long period of time, turn off your stopcock and drain your water system
- Leave your heating running on low to stop your pipes from freezing
- Check when your boiler was last serviced (it’s advised to have it done once a year)
- Lag any outdoor pipes and taps
- Minimise draughts from windows and doors
- Remove any leaves from drains and gutters
- Check your insurance is up to date and covers you for everything you need
- Look out for weather warnings in your area - regularly checking your pipes between periods of very cold weather and thaws
Reading your meter
We know it’s not always possible right now, but if it’s safe to do so, taking regular meter readings will help to spot any leaks quicker as they’re not always visible. We’ll also be able to keep your bill more accurate, as it’ll reflect your actual water use during this unsettled time.